As temperatures drop, extra winter safety precautions are crucial. With winter, comes an increased chance of falls and injury. Heed these safety tips before you venture out into the cold:
- Wear the proper footwear. Check the traction on your shoes and make sure the soles are not worn or smooth.
- Check sidewalk railings and make sure they are sturdy enough to support your weight.
- Keep salt and a shovel near walkways for easy access.
- Carry a cell phone in case a fall occurs and you are unable to get up.
- Ask for help when leaving a location and have to walk across slick surfaces.
- Have a plan. Prepare yourself on what to do if you or someone you are with falls.
- Take it slow. Allow yourself extra time when going out.
- Strengthen your legs. Strong legs help brace a person when a fall occurs and help prevent injury.